|Type of medicine
||A selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor
||Premature ejaculation in adult men
Premature ejaculation is the term used when a man orgasms (ejaculates) more quickly than he and/or his partner would like. For some men it can be temporary and can get better on its own; for others, prescribed treatments such as dapoxetine tablets can be helpful.
Dapoxetine is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor medicine which has specially been developed for the treatment of premature ejaculation. It increases the time it takes to ejaculate and can improve the control over the ejaculation. It starts to work very quickly, so it is taken when you anticipate having sex, rather than every day. You have to take it 1-3 hours before you have sex.
Before taking dapoxetine
Some medicines are not suitable for people with certain conditions, and sometimes a medicine can only be used if extra care is taken. For these reasons, before you start taking dapoxetine it is important that your doctor knows:
- If you have a tendency to faint.
- Have a heart condition.
- If you have a bleeding or clotting disorder.
- Have epilepsy.
- If you have ever had a mental health problem causing ‘high’ or ‘low’ moods, such as bipolar disorder, depression or mania.
- If you have increased pressure in your eye, a condition called glaucoma.
- Have any problems with the way your liver works, or if you have any problems with the way your kidneys work.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to a medicine.
- If you are taking any other medicines. This includes any medicines which are available to buy without a prescription, as well as herbal and complementary medicines.
How to take dapoxetine tablets
- Before you start the treatment, read the manufacturer’s printed information leaflet from inside the pack. It will give you more information about dapoxetine, and will also provide you with a full list of the side-effects which you could experience from taking it.
- Take dapoxetine exactly as your doctor tells you to. Drink a full glass of water at the same time as you take a tablet. The recommended starting dose is one 30 mg tablet, taken 1 to 3 hours before you anticipate having sex. Your doctor may later decide to increase your dose to one 60 mg tablet. Your doctor will only prescribe the higher dose for you if the 30 mg dose is insufficient, and providing you have not experienced any side-effects such as feeling faint.
- Do not take more than one tablet in any 24 hours. Dapoxetine is not intended for regular daily use – you should only take it before you anticipate having sex.
- The tablet has a bitter taste, so swallow it whole without chewing. You can take it either with or without food.
Getting the most from your treatment
- Make sure you keep your follow-on appointments with your doctor. This is so your doctor can check on your progress.
- Do not drink alcohol whilst taking dapoxetine, as it might increase the sedative effects of the alcohol. It can also increase the risk of fainting.
- Do not use any recreational drugs while you are taking dapoxetine, as this could lead to you experiencing serious side-effects.
- A chemical in grapefruit juice can increase the amount of dapoxetine in your bloodstream and this increases the risk of side-effects. If you do drink grapefruit juice, do not take a dapoxetine tablet for at least 24 hours afterwards.
- Take care if you are a driver. If you feel faint or dizzy, do not drive and do not use tools or machines.
- If you buy any medicines, please check with your doctor or a pharmacist that they are suitable for you to take with dapoxetine.
Can dapoxetine tablets cause problems?
Along with their useful effects, most medicines can cause unwanted side-effects although not everyone experiences them. The table below contains some of the most common ones associated with dapoxetine. You will find a full list in the manufacturer’s information leaflet supplied with your medicine. The unwanted effects often improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following continue or become troublesome.